Please note that the information on this page is GENERAL ADVICE ONLY.
You can obtain advice on self-treatment of comment ailments from nhs24.com
Professional advice and over the counter treatments are also available from your local pharmacist.
Your home first aid kit should be stored well out of reach of small children. Some, or all, of the items on the following list would be useful to keep at home:
- Paracetamol – pain and fever relief in tablet form for adults and liquid form for babies and young children.
- Vapour Rub - used to ease breathing in stuffy colds and in hot water as a steam inhalation to help catarrh and dry coughs
- Antiseptic Solution - used diluted to clean cuts and grazes
- Antihistamine tablets or liquid (for children) to ease insect bites and stings
- Calamine lotion - to ease itch of bites, stings, chickenpox etc.
- Sticking Plasters - to cover minor cuts etc.
- Dry Dressings - to cover minor wounds
- Cotton Wool - to clean cuts and grazes etc.
- Crepe Bandage - to hold dressings in place or to support strained or bruised joints.
- Thermometer - to assess fevers
- Tweezers - for removing splinters
- Scissors - for trimming dressings etc.